Fun fact about me: I’m obsessed with skincare…like I can’t get enough. Despite absolutely loving the vast makeup selections at ULTA and Sephora, I prefer a bare face (when I can get away with it) 99% of the time. Before I get started sharing some of my go-to items with you all, I will tell you a little bit about my skin type. I have the true definition of combination skin; I get oily (not insanely oily) in t-zone and have alligator skin on the outer perimeter of my face, my cheeks and the sides of my mouth (ugh, the struggle). I have insanely sensitive skin and usually only break out around that time of the month (typically near the chin/mouth (ish) area). Yay for Mother Nature and hormonal acne! So now that you know my skin-type, let’s jump right in to my skincare must-haves!
* Josie Maran Argan Oil ($48): I use this every morning and mix the tiniest amount in with my moisturizer before priming my face for makeup. I find that it helps add that extra boost of hydration that my skin needs so that I won’t have any dry patches when I go in with my foundation. I also use this if my skin is feeling extra dry after using some of my anti-acne products…it works wonders on redness and irritation, if you haven’t, you should try it out. P.S. I don’t think it’s necessary to get the Josie Maran brand, I just got mine in a kit and haven’t used it all up yet!
* Peter Thomas Roth Therapeutic Sulfur Masque ($47): I. LOVE. THIS. STUFF. This is one of my MUST-HAVE anti-acne products. I use this mask about once a week (2-3 times if my face is having a moment) and leave it on for 5-7 minutes. The instructions say that you can leave it on for up to 10 minutes and even use it as an overnight spot treatment; if I didn’t have sensitive skin you better believe I would try using it in this way, but alas, I will just stick to using it as my 5-7 minute miracle mask!
* Dermalogica Clearning Skin Wash ($37-58): I tried this face wash in the Medibac kit from the Dermalogica skincare line when my face was having a true meltdown. I like it, I don’t know if I’ll repurchase it in the full size, but it’s a good face wash none-the-less. It doesn’t dry my face out and it provides a nice deep clean!! For reference, I also use the Purity Facial Cleanser by Philosophy and really love that one!
* Simple Replenishing Rich Moisturizer ($9.99): I use this as my daily moisturizer and have noticed a huge difference in the amount of dry patches I have on my skin. If you have oily skin this might be a tad too heavy for your liking (although they do have a light weight moisturizer in this line that you could try), but for those of you who have normal to drier skin types, you might really like this! It’s gentle on my skin and provides a generous amount of hydration without feeling greasy!
* Fresh Rose Face Mask ($25-62): If my face is ever feeling irritated or overly dry from any of my anti-acne products (or the universe in general), I will throw this mask on my face and let it sit for about 10 minutes (sometimes more). I’m typically not the biggest fan of rose scented things, but this doesn’t really bother me once it’s on my face. It provides a soothing sensation while hydrating and calming my skin. It’s a little pricey, but I absolutely swear by it!
* Dermalogica Ultracalming Cleanser ($59): I go back and fourth between my regular cleanser (Dermalogica Clearning Cleanser or Purity) and this cleanser! I use this 2-3 times a week to help combat sensitivity and redness and I really like it!
* Dermalogica Ultracalming Mist ($37): I. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. THIS. STUFF. I got this as part of the Ultracalming kit from Dermalogica and I will definitely buy the full size once I run out. It’s so soothing and helps relieve my skin when it’s irritated and splotchy. I spray this before my moisturizer on excessively dry-skin days and think it would be PERFECT to take on a plane to ensure that your skin stays hydrated and balanced!
* Renee Rouleau Anti-Cyst Treatment ($45.50): HOLY GRAIL product. I had been on the fence about trying this because it’s a little on the pricier side and I hadn’t heard many reviews on the product/brand. But after my last skin meltdown I decided to take the plunge and try it anyways…and boy am I glad that I did. Any time I get one of those painful, under the skin blemishes, I put this on at night and by the next morning the redness and size of the cyst has decreased substantially and most of the pain is gone! It’s slightly drying (like any anti-acne product) but nothing a good moisturizer can’t cure! If you struggle with hormonal acne or cystic acne, this may be worth trying!
THINGS NOT PICTURED ABOVE
* Clarisonic Mia 2 – (Sensitive Brush Head) ($169): I try and use this every time I wash my face; though I’ll be honest, it doesn’t ALWAYS happen. It gives a nice deep clean and helps my skin to be much more radiant and youthful in it’s appearance.
* First Aid Beauty Eye Duty Triple Remedy AM Gel Cream ($36): I am currently on the hunt for a nighttime eye cream (or an all in one) but for now I am using the FAB AM Gel Cream and I really like it. It works great under makeup and has a soothing sensation when you put it on! It calms the area around my eyes and makes the skin look more radiant and youthful. I’m not sure I would say it’s holy grail status, but I definitely enjoy it!
* It Cosmetics Confidence in a Cream ($48): I typically use this as part of my nighttime skincare routine as it’s a little thicker and more rich than what I’m used to for day time. However, in the winter months this may be a great option for all day use as my skin tends to be drier and more irritated! It’s a little pricey but a little goes a long way!
What are some of your holy grail skincare products? I’d love to know! Have any of you tried an eye cream that you absolutely love and can’t live without? Let me know!